The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) provides technical cooperation for the ASEAN countries in the field of Clean Air through the project ‘Clean Air for Smaller Cities in the ASEAN Region’ (CASC). This project supports the ASEAN Working Group on Environmentally Sustainable Cities (AWGESC). The goal of the project is to assist the participating cities in developing and implementing Clean Air Plans (CAPs) in order to improve air quality in non metropolitan ASEAN cities. Specifically the project aims to help the local governments in small and medium-sized cities to develop air quality management strategies and implementation framework, strengthen human resources and institutional capacity of air quality management, and promote public and private investments in air quality management. The outputs consist of: 1) supporting city governments and national authorities in the development and implementation of clean air plans with the participation of relevant target groups, 2) assisting in the development of baseline conditions, 3) supporting in the implementation and monitoring of the action plans, and 4) supporting city governments in seeking financial assistance, e. g. through Development Banks. In terms of capacity building, the project aims at strengthening capacities through the application of relevant management tools, plans and systems through qualified and competent personnel. The project team is headquartered in Bangkok, Thailand and oversees work in activities in a total of 12 cities in the ASEAN Region. In Indonesia, the project works at the national level with the Ministry of Environment and at city level with Municipality of Palembang, South Sumatera and Municipality of Surakarta, Central Java. The CASC project is an initiative under the umbrella of Cities, Environment and Transport (CET) programme. More information on the project and program could be found at: http://www.citiesenvironmenttransport.org<http://www.citiesenvironmenttransport.org>.
GIZ seeks qualified Indonesian candidates for position Project Advisor (PA)
Objectives of the Assignment
The overall objective of this assignment is to support GIZ in planning,implementation and monitoring of the project in Indonesia with the aim to ensure a successful project implementation. Specifically, under the direct supervision of the Project Director (PD) and in coordination with a senior consultant serving as Country Coordinator, the Project Advisor (PA) is expected to contribute to:
1. Overall planning and coordination of inputs to be provided by the projectand the key stakeholders;
2. An efficient and effective delivery of project outputs, as specified in the project document and work plans approved by the GIZ;
3. Ensure an appropriate and economic use of project funds disbursed in Indonesia; ASEAN – German Technical Cooperation;
4. Provide input to timely and well informed decision making through regular monitoring and reporting on project results, including financial and managerial accounting;
5. Ensure aid effectiveness, harmonization and alignment through close coordination with the other GIZ-funded projects, local governments and the Ministry of Environment as the Executing Agency (EA).
Key Responsibilities and Tasks
1. Represent the interests of the GIZ in Indonesia for all matters concerning the project;
2. Assist the PD in preparing operational work plans and budgets and carry out regular updating of said work plan;
3. Provide day to day project management role for the preparation and implementation of project activities, including those carried out by consultants,ensuring that they are delivered timely and in good quality;
4. Support the development of the Clean Air Plans and its implementation by providing technical inputs;
5. Monitor all project activities in Indonesia and prepare progress reports for the GIZ and EA based on the guidelines provided by the GIZ and EA;
6. Organize coordination meetings with consultants, EA, PD and other partnering organizations when required;
7. Organize international, national and city-level workshops/seminars/trainings related to the project and support the project in the institutionalization of the training activities in Indonesia
8. Local fund administration, including financial and managerial accounting based on the guidelines provided by the GIZ;
9. Preparation for and support of project evaluations;
10.Any other support to the GIZ CASC and EA that might be required from time to time in order to ensure a successful implementation of the project.
Specific Tasks related to Project Administration
Provide project administration as part of the day to day project management,including but not limited to filing and documentation, correspondence, financial bookings and reporting in accordance with the GIZ policies and regulations, organization of logistics/supplies, and monitoring of related media articles.
Reporting and Coordination
The PA will report to the PD in all matters. She/he will execute this assignment based on specific guidelines, including operational procedures, templates, and deadlines of the project. The PA will work independently with minimum input and supervision.
Time-frame and Workload
The CASC project will end in December 2015. Starting date of the PA is expected to be 1st May 2014. The assignment of the PA is full-time with 100% input of 8 hours per day and 5 days a week over the duration of the project.
Qualifications and Experience :
· University degree in engineering, environment studies, economics or social sciences with relevant background
· A successful track-record in technical co-operation and/or project management in Indonesia is essential
· Knowledge of air quality and/or climate change impact management, would be an additional asset
· Computer literacy, including the use of office software
· Familiar with financial and managerial accounting
· Good report writing and communication skills
· Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills, including the ability to successfully work within a team
· High degree of self-motivation, commitment to achieve results, and integrity
· Flexibility for working and travelling according to project needs
Language: Fluency in English and Bahasa Indonesia, knowledge of German is an advantage
Duty Station: Jakarta, Indonesia with frequent domestic travels to project cities Palembang and Surakarta, as well as international travels when required
Interested candidates should submit the application letter, CV with latest photograph and list of references by latest April 30th, 2014 to: